Saturday, March 13, 2010

Getting the Garden Rolling...

Today there were actually three of us working toward the reality of what I have dubbed the Meadowview Liberty Garden.  The process was jumpstarted yesterday when Patrick came by and asked what he could do to help get the garden going.  In the last two days he's put quite a dent in the retention pond, Phillip cleared the remaining debris and fencing from the old garden, and I marked off the new garden.  Now we need to rent a tiller.  Our designated space is ambitious in size, but there isn't any reason to plant the entire thing in one season or even one year.


We'll be using the square foot gardening approach, with 25 potential 4'x4' blocks, separated by 3' paths.  Once we till the yard, we'll install slotted drain pipe between the blocks, tying into the drain coming from the roof gutter.  After that we'll lay out the permanent paths in a grid with a thick layer of mulch.


Now to pick up my copy of Month to Month Texas Gardening and figure out what to plant.  Also, I can't decide whether I want to install irrigation or build a robot to water.  I'm leaning heavily toward the robot.

No comments:

Post a Comment